View Single Post
Old 24-12-2008, 01:38 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Jealous !

Hi Rob,

Good to hear from you again and good to hear your're still doing some faint but interesting stuff for your aperture range.

I'm jealous because nights in Sydney at this time of year are very frequently cloudy and humid. We had a reasonably clear one last night but I couldn't observe. Tonight we had a southerly and a storm front earlier and it is 100% cloud-out.

Mmmmmm ... NGC 1055 very much a fav at this time of year -- impressed you saw it in 4"!

Even more so, love NGC 1535. Someone fairly recently has "given" this one a "common name" -- the "Eye of Cleopatra". How her eye is different from anyone else's is a bit of mystery to me! Oh how I loathe the sport of dreaming up "common" names.

Here is a 2006 observation of NGC 1535 made with 46cm in very good seeing This is a sensational PNe (well a lot of them are) with serious aperture:

NGC 1535 Planetary Nebula *
RA: 04h 14m 15.8s Dec: -12° 44' 21"
Mag: 9.6 (P) Size: 60.0" Class: 4+2c
Mag C. Star: 12.1 R.V.: ---

x185, x317, x371 (Unfiltered, UHC & OIII)

This is a very bright and lovely simple disc (double-shell) PNe that responds strongly to the use of the UHC and OIII filters, but is probably the most aesthetically pleasing unfiltered in this aperture in these conditions. A circular outer disc about 60" diameter with very diffuse looking edges that grows evenly and slightly to centre. Then there is a strong and abrupt boundary to the inner disc that is 20" diameter -- much brighter but generally dimming weakly to the central * and contains some tiny (<2" dia) slightly darker patches within and a very small dim area just surrounding the central star at magnitude 12. Beautiful smoky-blue colour in the outer halo and brighter blue in the inner halo without the filter. Best at x317 unfiltered. A mag 13 * is in the outskirts 2/3rds of the way to edge on the W.

Love it! Hope to see it again in a few nights!

Best,

Les D