View Single Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:48 PM
gregbradley

All good choices.

I would suggest the SBIG STL11 instead of the STF8300 though.

STL11 is a particularly good match to the FSQ and especially if you use the FSQ106ED reducer. It has self guiding so less need for MMOAG and guide camera unless you want to do narrowband imaging. No need for a separate filter wheel and its a nice compact lightweight proven performer.

Also there is bound to be some for sale on Astromart cheap as people sell theirs and upgrade to a 16803 chipped camera. I think overall it would be cheaper than STF8300, filter wheel and guider.

16803 though is the ultimate camera for FSQ but it is expensive. I would suggest the FLI Microline 16803 if you did go that route as it is the lightest and some FSQ owners have had a lot of trouble with focuser flex. It cools within 3 or 4C of the more expensive and heavier Proline.

I would get the STi over Lodestar as it is cleaner, has a built in shutter which is important for autodarks as it guides to get rid of any hot pixels that the software can mistake for a guide star and cause erratic guiding.

I don't think Lodestar or STi would really be that great for planetary but I could be wrong. Get the mono as it would be more sensitive than colour and autoguiders need to be sensitive to make sure you can find a guide star.

Greg.