View Single Post
Old 13-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Allan

I've never seen a TOA130 in the flesh, and my immediate impression was how imposing and beautiful it looks, as nice as any refractor I've seen. Photos don't do it justice.

So I got it home yesterday as the last piece of my all new setup. I've been slowly buying parts over the last couple of months while I waited to collect the telescope. I went for an AP MaxBright diagonal and a really nice BT Tech dovetail plate that's machined to accept the Tak clamshell. I bought a DM6 to mount it on, and a Losmandy FHD tripod with a 12" extension. Finally a Nexus DSC and TV Starbeam sit on top of the DM6.

A few thoughts about the setup. I don't find the scope overly heavy, contrary to what is often written. It's all a matter of perspective I guess, but all dressed to go with clamshell, dovetail plate, diagonal and the counter weight it comes in at 14kg. My 12" Orion OTA weighs 24kg, and I carry that around no problem, so by comparison the TOA130 is of little effort.

But, the tripod/mount is a different story. It weighs 27kg, which is starting to feel on the heavy side, because it is a lot more awkward to carry. This is my first foray into larger refractors, and I can see how the mount is what becomes a hassle as the size increases, rather than the OTA. Anyway, I should be good for at least another 20 years, but when I turn into an old geezer I might have to get a wheel kit to move it around.

First light was this afternoon after I took the photos. I put my Baader solar wedge in the scope and did a bit of solar observing. I was amazed at how much more detail I could see compared to my NP101, lifetime best views of the sun straight up, so that was pretty nice. I'm not much of a solar observer, so I have my fingers crossed it stays clear for tonight and I can get down to business.

I spent a long time weighing up choices along the lines of the TSA120, FS128 and TEC140. So far I am extremely happy with my decision, but time under the stars will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
187.1 KB272 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
170.7 KB274 views
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
152.2 KB244 views
Click for full-size image (4.jpg)
143.3 KB261 views