View Single Post
Old 15-05-2018, 10:09 AM
jbdave (David)

Deep sky stacker, DSLR and astro colour problems

So following my last thread with frustration of getting the images due to poor polar alignment (I did get up to 1 min exposures), I am now going through frustration of post processing.

When I stack my RAW files, the image looks great in DSS. The output file however produces a horrible green tinted image which I can't seem to draw much colour out of.

I then tried to stack in jpeg which resulted in a better looking output file than the raw stacked one.

I have been told the blues are due to the dslr camera, but the whole image isn't turning blue. The green is doing my head in when stacking in raw though. The whole image is green stars and nebula on a dark sky. I have downloaded a plugin for photoshop which removes the green tinge, but then I cant really get as much of the colour info out of the picture as I want to.

I also question whether it could be the camera (Canon 80D), as I don't recall having this problem on the couple of shots I took with the 600D. The blues were always present, but i never recall the heavy greens (mind you I was using the older version of DSS then which from memory only stacked jpegs).

Anyway, here are a couple of test shots, using jpeg stacks (as the raw file stacks are terrible).
The first one is with an ED80, the second with an 8" newt (I desaturated the blues in the 2nd image).

Taken from my backyard in suburban light polluted Heidelberg, Melbourne.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (carinaed80.jpg)
207.3 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (carinanewt.jpg)
203.4 KB100 views