View Single Post
Old 24-04-2011, 08:34 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I noticed something last night and thought I might try an experiment tonight. Last night I was getting plenty of drift going straight from startup to alignment to imagine in the problematic SE corner. Then I slewed to the other side of the Meridian and did a couple of 5 min shots there. No problems there. Slewed back to the SE and managed 1 5 min shot with no drift.

Tonight after doing my alignment I went straigth to M46 and did two completely clean 5 min shots, no drift. Slewed back to NGC5128 and have completed, so far, 17 x 5min shots with no large S and W drift as before. There is a very slight movement (couple of pixels if that) southward but that is it. Its almost like I'm using a different mount.

Could this be a mount firmware issue rather than flexure? Could it be that for some reason it doesn't like to guide in that area first up and going somewhere else "clears" (cant think of a more appropriate term) some conflict somewhere??? Not knowing anything about how this stuff is written or acted on I'm only guessing. But it seems a bit strange that it guides pretty well perfectly, in a spot that I've always had problems with, after initiating guiding elsewhere first????? Does that make any sense?