View Single Post
Old 19-12-2010, 08:45 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
I do a lot of panoramic photography, I believe the most succesful ratios for a pano are between 2:1 and 4:1. With 2:1, 2.5:1 and 3:1 being very popular.

Longer formats tend to create the impression of a tiny ribbon of color without any detail. Shoter formats look like regular photos.

If you take a look at the 2010 Epson Pano Awards winners you'll see most succesful panos are between 2:1 and 4:1 ratios.
Aah, reading your response and re-reading Baz's original question, I see your response is probably more what he was after. I was taking "standard" as literal, but what's more important is what is most appealing. Totally agree with your comments about too long and too short especially. Although I do have a 19 shot panorama that is one of my personal favourites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound31 View Post
Thanks Troy. I think I will have to make a bar for my camera to attach to my ball-head further rearward so the objective lens becomes the pivot point.
Making/buying pano-heads was pretty much the only way to do things once upon a time. But these days with digital development and the software available being so advanced, I don't know that pano-heads are a necessity any more. The software does a very capable job of stitching seemlessly - as long as the shots overlap "enough" as I mentioned above.