View Single Post
Old 20-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Fourlights (Mark)

Hi All

I’m in the market for my first scope and most of my queries end up linking to a thread in this forum so I thought I’d sign up and just ask away. It’s my first post and I’m sure you’ve heard all of these before but any help or guidance would be much appreciated. I couldn’t find the specific questions answered so please be gentle.

I know a scope is a pretty personal bit of kit so a bit of background:

It’s supposed to be a Christmas present for my son (7 year old) but it’s also a present for myself. I’ve been interested in space since I was a kid and he always comes home from school with space books from the library so it looks like I’ve passed that on. He’s been asking for a scope for over a year so I don’t think it’s a passing fad for him – in any case, I’ll be using it as well.

We live in Perth WA suburbs so there’s the usual suburban light pollution. I can’t really make it to any scope/viewing parties to ask questions and we are not likely going to dark skies very often (if at all) at least until the kids are much older and can stay up later so it’ll be used mostly in the yard or close by.

I don’t really have a fixed budget but won’t be spending $3k on a first scope. I might, maybe; possibly stretch to $2k but only if it has everything (goto etc).

We are not really into photography so it’ll be mostly visual (for now at least).

Initially I thought a Refractor was the go – easiest to use and I would know that what we saw was probably the best you can see given the ‘seeing’ on any given day (not because of collimation of or any other variables).

Something like the Saxon 1206EQ5 Pioneer Refractor or Bresser Messier 127mm (AR-127L) w EXOS 2 EQ5 mount (optics central but I have no affiliation with any place at all).

Questions:

How long would it take me to learn to polar align an EQ mount?

Once aligned, do you only need to move 1 axis on the scope to keep a target like Mars/ Saturn or anything else in view? Could I even see them in those scopes? I thought I read something about rotating the tube but couldn’t understand the gist of that.

How long would anything (say Mars) stay in the field of view – 60 seconds – more or less?
Would the kids be able to keep an object like that in the scope by moving 1 handle/knob?

Are the focal lengths on the above good or bad for a first scope - does that matter (I’ve seen short and long scopes and don’t really understand the difference to the naked eye)?

I think I would need eyepieces with one of the above? What would be recommended? Any other accessories or must haves when you are starting out?

MORE RESEARCH was done and I nearly pulled the trigger on a 10” Saxon Dobsonian – 2 x Super Plossl lenses, Pyrex glass viewing lens included.

I was going to get a right angle finder scope and moon filter to start.

Questions with this:

The website shows an image of what you can see through a 10” dob
http://www.opticscentral.com.au/saxo...U#.WDEvRndh2Rs

Is that perfect seeing, marketing, wishful thinking or pretty accurate?

Would that image differ to what I could see with the refractors or would it be pretty much the same?

Would it be the same as what I could see through an 8” Dob from the suburbs due to light pollution?

Biggest question is about cooling. Perth climate is pretty moderate so would I have to allow an hour after sundown to cool the scope? The scope would be inside and lugged to the back garden probably (maybe a close by park - are there better spots?). If so, this will be a pretty big issue because the kids would be in bed before they could see anything.

Whilst it’s cooling are the views of the moon / mars (anything else) good enough to keep you interested?

Would the 8” dob be more practical, cool faster etc? The difference in price being spent probably on EPs and other kit.

Any and all information or guidance is much appreciated.

If there’s anything I’ve missed or not considered, please educate the newbie!