View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:19 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

S900NC and raw mode

Quote from Martin Burri

"
Hi all,

having a Philips SPC900nc I did again run some tests.

Drivers: camext40.ax (dll) V 1.3.0.2 (the current one from Philips - no updates since I bought the cam)
You will find it in the Hardware Properties of the camera using the drivers Tab - Details (there's a bunch of files mentioned and one of them is the basic support i.e. the one mentioned above.)

Using the plain cam imaging an LED I've got some well known 'ears' effect
Then I applied the Optimized non raw macro (same as for the 7/840k) and the 'ears' effect is gone.
Also looking at the register setting of the cam there are the same as with the older models.

The only thing that is different and MUST be taken in account is that the SPC900NC has some processing features in the driver that are not known by the older models and that will affact your imaging.

The original camera properties dialog (sometimes called Source) has 3 Tabs - I have only a German version so the naming may vary

Tab 1: General
There's a Zoom and Tracking feature
AND there is the Picture Improvement slider (later more on this one)
Tab 2: Image
There are the well known image properties sliders etc.
Tab 3: Audio
Usually not of much interest.

Now if you use the Optimized Non Raw Macro it is mentioned to reset to factory settings each time before using the cam.
Resetting to factory also affects the Picture Improvement on Tab 1:
So if you switch it off and then press the Factory Reset it is switched on again with a level of about 1/3rd
As it is within the driver software on the PC and not within the cam there is no way to kill this feature using macros.

The good thing is that this setting is also stored when saving your personal defaults.

So I suggest that you reset to factory settings then switch the Picture Improvement off then Save this as Defaults (all in the original Property dialog)
Now you're able to reset to factory (improved) by resetting to the user defaults.

It works also with the 'Load User Settings' button in WcCtrl

So I do currently see no need for new macros it is just to know that this Factory Reset does a bit more than before, alas the Picture Improvement is more subtle than the cam internal sharpening so one could think of playing a bit with this one.
E.g. switch it on and put the slider fully to the left does a kind of blur and will smoothen the colour noise. Some ticks to the right seems to be a neutral position.

Hope it helps

Martin"