View Single Post
Old 20-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

I have an f4 with a Moonlite and use SGP. After playing around a lot, finally settled on 9 steps of 5 pulses, smart focus disabled and darks enabled (essential). Usually use 5 second exposures for lum/RGB and 10 for NB, but occasionally may need to double exposures if the star field is not very strong - all 1x1 and focused through the current filter. Also get more reliable results by setting the number of stars to 15 with the above settings (it works better if it does not have to try to focus on dim noisy stars). I refocus every 3 frames in poor seeing and every 5 frames in good - usually use 3-5 minute subs, so this is about 1/4 to 1/2 hour between refocus runs.

These settings work OK for my system in seeing up to about 4 arcsec FWHM - if it is worse than that, the focus may sometimes drift off through outliers, but I do not image much if the seeing is that bad. If need be, increasing the exposure time can generally get things back under control in really bad seeing and, as a general comment, seeing variability is always the issue if there is a problem - never mechanical precision.

overall, the focus routines in SGP are not quite perfect, but they still work really well in good seeing and do as good a job as I could - and I can be asleep when they do.

maybe also try without the MPCC. these probably introduce significant aberrations, which may possibly increase the width of your CFZ

Last edited by Shiraz; 20-09-2015 at 04:22 PM.