View Single Post
Old 15-02-2014, 10:15 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

For me colour is beauty, I don't care what Maestro Malin says about colour nuances, when I see a colourful image it makes me smile, when I see a "more natural" (??) pastel like image I often think oh yeah not bad I guess but perhaps a bit boring..?

I think there are a broad set of reasonably accurate colours for many objects like magenta (aka Pink) for most emission nebulae, blue for most reflection nebulae, yellower cores and bluer arms with pink HII regions for galaxies etc

RJ Gabany's bold colours look ok in my view as do those of Tony Hallas, what I do have an issue with though is using processing techniques that rely on painting in features that are often simply not there or exaggerate a faint feature in an arbitrary way and it is this quality about RJ's (and others) images I think is stretching (pardon the pun ) it too far.

Thing is, it is the spectacular colour saturated HST images that have brought the world of astroimaging aliiiive so go with the bold colours in my view ...but that's just my view, I would paint a car or decorate my home differently to others so there is no right or wrong but in the end make the choice and just go with the artistic flow

Mike