View Single Post
Old 14-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Interesting result, Ray. My approach has always been to chuck anything that looks significantly brighter than average unless I'm really short on subs I guess your model is assuming evenly distributed bright sky? I often see a gradient in subs that are bright due to clouds or moon.

Cheers,
Rick.
yes it is very simplistic and assumes even sky and the same levels within the two classes. However, the results are relatively insensitive to sky levels, so I think that the rule should be OK for subs with gradients. I was a bit surprised that the answer was so strongly "2", but the algebra shows an underlying basis for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I like you analytical approach to these things Ray and your outcomes and conclusions usually support what I have learned through trial an error over time...guess that makes sense though huh?

Mike
Thanks Mike - yep, with all this stuff, the analytical approach can generally do no more than explain what experience has taught. Occasionally though, you can get additional insight and find odd nooks and crannies that have not been obvious from "suck it and see". And of course there are occasions when the wisdom of the elders is a bit misguided - rare, but not unheard of.