View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
If you use the scope for lower power viewing the Edge has a much better outer field than a standard SCT in the 8" and 11" sizes. The standard C9.25 isn't as badly aberrated so there isn't as much to gain going to the 9.25 edge.

You need to jump to 11" to see a big difference in brightness, but I'd be looking for a used 11" Edge to save a couple thousand dollars.
The 9.25" is pretty much the limit, in size and weight, as this will be mounted on a side by side plate with my William Optics 110FLT, in my observatory. My deforked 8" is okay, and I am only considering going to the 9.25" as I am considering the EdgeHD. Since I have fixed my fork mount I want to refork my 8" so that I can take that out to a dark sky site, particularly since my WO110FLT is now permanently mounted.

The 11" would be preferable, but that would mean a change in size and weight and a change in mount, for that matter, something I am unable to afford to do any time soon, if at all. I do have a 16" for aperture.

Given the above, my query is simply the difference between the 9.25" EdgeHD and XLT. I know, on paper, the difference, but I also know reality can be different again, thus I am looking to hear from anyone who has compared them. The price difference is significant. I am surprised there are a lack of reviews on the 9.25" EdgeHD. Maybe that is because most people go to the 11".

Cheers Peter

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 11-10-2018 at 07:45 PM.