View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Canon 6D testing - usability

Used a Canon 6D extensively on the weekend. Very impressed by the low noise levels but surprised at what I think is poor usability and lack of buttons, comparing to my 7D.

- Play button depressed/flat makes it harder to press while on the telescope.
- Deleting multiple photo's using depressed/flat delete button and arrow buttons was fiddly.
- Zoom requires (1) press play (2) press zoom (3) scroll instead of just (1) press play (2) zoom.
- Using the zoom button and scroll wheel for zooming resulted in lots of unintentional changing of aperture setting.
- Using scroll wheel for zoom instead of buttons made shaking the telescope/camera and accidentally changing the focus of the camera due to pushing hard on the wheel/jerky motion.
- A few less buttons (no picture style, no m-fn, didn't compare others exactly) means menu hunting for style change (or whatever you choose to assign the button).
- Choosing HDR mode seemed to require extensive menu drilling rather than pressing a button, and there's no spare button to assign it.

All of this was a bit odd I thought? why not keep the extra couple of buttons? and why aggregate so much functionality in to the wheel?

It seems to me the camera would be great for use completely wired on a telescope (limited physical touching) and great for use on specific subject matters, but quickly changing between uses (like on holiday switching between shooting landscape and portrait, or landscape and macro) gets cumbersome ... ?

Perhaps those who have the 6D can share how they've found the usability after having one for a while

Roger.