View Single Post
Old 22-08-2019, 03:11 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Ken
I have the EQMOD project manual and just read pages 55 to 62 on Alignment
Basically the first Goto Star is a calibration point for the pointing model so once it is sync’d the Algorithms designed into the software have more control over pointing as more calibration points are sync’d
The two co ordinate transformation Algorithms, nearest point and 3 point plus nearest improve accuracy once your past the first calibration point or sync’d point , and therefore building a data based pointing model across the night sky through your planetarium
The manual describes centering your first alignment Star in a few areas in this Alignment section so I guess they didn’t design sophisticated Algorithms to slew precisely to your first star plus there are many factors that could affect the accuracy like setting your home position perfectly ( near impossible) , levelling your mount perfectly ( near impossible ) , setting perfect latitude ( near impossible ) and others
So I guess we will have to grin and bear it . I’ve been centering my first alignment Star since day one , so it doesn’t really bother me at all
Hope the above helps and makes some sense
Cheers