View Single Post
Old 15-11-2015, 08:52 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Andrew: If I'm reading the info on your link right, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a good option, given the $125 price listed there.

Dunk: Interesting review - it's unfortunately a bit old and therefore compares against the older f/1.8 lens, not the newer one.

Jason: An advantage the Canon 40 and 50 mm lens have is the weight is much less. Although the didn't specify it explicitly in my original post, it's something I'm keeping in mind. The 6D is heavy enough and I notice that I have to be cautious with my current lens on the Polarie (they're really not that suitable).
That's how I read it too. Also I've been surprised how willing good camera stores are to let you try some of these things out before you buy them, particularly if you're doing astrophotography.

Regards the polarie - I found if you are extremely careful and use the polar scope you can get exposure out to two minutes with a 200mm lens on a full frame dslr. I've also built an adapter to hang off the front with a counterweight and shaft that has made the thing 100 times better for long exposure. But without the polar scope I wouldn't want to be using anything longer than 80mm or so.