View Single Post
Old 05-07-2022, 02:59 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
I am going to go back over and re do the stacking program again as there are a few things on there that i do need to change.
In regards to this one:

9/Stacking Parameters, Calibration Frames use Median

I can't see that option anywhere in DeepSky Stacker.
I even downloaded the latest version just to make sure.
Under the Stacking Parameters tab i re set the Lights, Flats, Bias to the suggested settings.
But i can't see the Calibration Frames tab,
The only thing that i found remotely close was in the Cosmetic tab.
If i click:
Detect and Clean remaining Hot Pixels,
Detect and Clean remaining Cold Pixels,
Then you get the option:
Replace pixel value with the median Test on first Frame

I selected this option and and let it do its Test on first image
It take a little while, but came back with:
Detected Hit Pixels 832023 (3.19%)
Detected Cold Pixels 1494800 (5.73%)
Also left the Alignment method as Automatic.

Sorry for dragging this out, but definitely learning some very valuable information here.
Sorry Peter,
Forget item 9 Calibration frames tab ( I corrected that in item 10 and 11 ) and forgot to delete item 9

Do not touch anything in Cosmetics tab
Only check or tick Use all available processors

Stacking Parameters, Alignment tab set should be set to “Automatic”

Finally in Stacking Parameters under Light tab , with Per Background Channel , when you click on this it opens a menu with Options….. click Options and select Linear ( Calibration Method ) and None ( RGB Background Calibration Method )

That’s about it

I tested some data today and used Per Channel Background Calibration as well as No Background Calibration in DSS and the resultant processed image was the same in Startools using identical settings and procedures. But I’m still going to use Per Channel Background Calibration as I’ve always used this even though Ivo from Startools recommendation is use No Background Calibration to keep the DSS stacked image purely Linear.
I’m sure even when you use No Background Calibration your background across a whole session can be fairly uniform under dark skies.

I really hope you achieve some better processed images in Startools
It just takes some time as long as your data has good calibration, registering stacking is done correctly in DSS and the initial processing procedures are followed in Startools

Cheers for now
Martin