View Single Post
Old 22-09-2008, 05:18 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

..... All i can say that the 12" Meade LX200R that i have access to, starting from the ground, the SS tube legs... SOLID, Base plate and cast tube leg mounting SOLID, Fork arms to hold OTA.... WOBBLETRON. If i get a "slight breeze" and i mean slight in the range of 3 -4km/h which is no more than walking pace, my images i chuck away. null and voiding long exposures. Im with Monte and Alex.... a ccd is SENSITIVE and will pick up a photon if it is there..... so regardless of aperature you can still take excellent photos. Put what ever it is that your going to buy (OTA wise) on a mount that far exceeds the weight capabilitys. If you live in the city.... a goto mount i say is nearly mandatory. I don't know about you guys but there isn't a star around where the Tarantchula neb lays but yet i can see it in my ep easily!... no star hopping The other thing is remember the FOV, this doesn't sound like much but when you have a SCT it reduces your FOV dramatically so go a faster scope F5 F7 ish, and finally Alt Az mounts are crappy for photography you need feild de rotators and a whole lot of other gear, go GEM polar align with drift align and youll be set for hour long exp with no problems...! so
A. Beefy GEM mount
B. Good CCD
C. Reasonable ota + Guide scope.(or get crafty and get a Dual CCD camera (one to take images and the other chip to guide) Kill 2 birds with one stone and not have a problem with alignment.