View Single Post
Old 14-11-2016, 12:20 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol-Skysailor View Post
Found this on APOD

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160520.html APOD_ 2016 May 20 - 3D Mercury Transit

Marvellous 3D!! Floats right out. And, Markus, I can see your 3D view of the moon in the same way! Wowww.. Thank you. The sun clips through fast though, so by the time I could see 3D it blinked out.

All these must mean there could be loads of things that can become 3D. Can you do Saturn? What targets possible with Earth orbital parallax?

(Yes, maybe lots of people already know all these but it's fun to explore anyway.)

Cheers
Sol
Wow, that transit is an excellent use of 3D! Amazing to see it floating in front of the sun. Gives you a real sense of scale. Nice find!

Yes, sorry, the sun thing was just a little experiment. I could have done longer, but...time and resources. Besides the youtube codec munched the details which are needed for a good 3D effect. Not quite sure the best way to append video to posts here, it's not really set up for it.

I've already done a 3D test with a mars video, but the data is not mine, so I'm asking permission of the original owner. The data you showed me would work, if I could capture it. Pity it's not a full rotation.

As far as possible targets, Saturn is a bit featureless. the rotation method is unlikely to provide enough eye - to eye difference to give good 3D (unless there is a storm or some prominent feature) And it changes phase so slowly. You may find that you get better 3D by waiting a week or two. Presuming the actual planet looks the same, you would be using part of the earth's orbit round the sun to get a slightly different illumination angle, which you could pass off as 3D.

Essentially, the moon is close enough to get good data using the earth's rotation as a baseline for the parallax..

Mars works if you just leave it a few hours to rotate a bit. Likewise with the sun and, I imagine, with Jupiter.

Saturn you'd have to use the orbit of the earth to get enough shift, I think.

I like the idea of capturing conjunctions like this. Like Saturn with the moon as happened a while back, or, if you are quick, the ISS skimming over the moon. The baseline for this would be shorter in accordance with the useful width of the satellite track on the earth's surface.

It did occur to me that you could use the earth's orbit as a baseline to try and image objects further out, but I don't think it would work. The moon is about 30 earth diameters away from us here, but when you compare the diameter of the earth's orbit to the distance to even our closest star, the ratio is more like 300,000 times. I know they do use this system to measure our stellar neighbours, but I'm guessing they are using extremely high magnification and observing sub-pixel shifts, which are not going to result in much 3D for visual purposes. Happy to be proven wrong though, if anyone has some data to play with. :-) It might work for comets though, or showing the parallax of the outer planets against the background of the stars.

Cheers

Markus