View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Well it's an improvement, I'm not familiar with the mount you are using in the sense ei haven't nor have I fiddled with one.
Ive covered all the potential physical movement points.

At this point I guess you just have to pay careful attention to the guide screen whilst guiding. Just check how the star moves. If it's erratic you may need to turn it down.

There are lots of things one can do to improve things.

You can do unguided tests with phd outputting the guide data which can then be analyzed ( for this just disconnect the guide camera ) this will give you indications of what going on..... I have the program details at home but not here. Analyzing your mount will give you invaluable information, you can also do this while imaging and get an output of the mounts performance by the star trails. From memory you actually need the polar alignment to be poor to do this, the wiggles in the star trails will repeat every cycle thus giving you an idea of the periodic error in the mount.

Certainly a useful thing to do in nailing down all your issues.

On another note, I did some imaging last week ( Friday ) just having a bash at the western veil which is fairly low here so didn't expect great results. Calibrated the gear etc, left it running whilst I went inside to watch the box. I have a computer inside which allows me to monitor goings on in the observatory, so after an hour I had a squiz ..... It looked like your images.... Doh .... Turned out the USB cable to the guidescope had some moisture and stuffed the connection, with the GPUSB on mine to get it reworking it needs to be dried and computer rebooted, I figured the problem and just closed up shop for the night. Sometimes it can be the smallest thing. The giveaway for this was that the red light on the GPUSB was stuck on and not flashing with the updates, although the guide program was doing it's thing.

Keep plugging away you will get all the details sorted sooner or later.