View Single Post
Old 28-11-2007, 05:50 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Lots of people on here have the various models of these cameras, although the USB2.0 ones are brand new - most here have firewire models.

Planets - definitely.
Guide cam - great.
DSO - hmmmm possible, but they are not going to be awesome.

For a chuckle, I took a 5 second exposure of the trapezium stars in M42 through my 10" scope at F/10. You can see there is some of the nebulosity there. Mind you my camera is a colour one, not the mono, and is 1024x768 and only 30fps (this is scaled down for the web).

In terms of the firewire cameras (can't talk USB ones), you need to supply them power, either by a full 6-pin firewire cable (ie most laptops only have the 4 pin connector which doesn't include power), or by plugging them in to a powered firewire hub.

Mine did not come with the power cable (or power supply), nor did it come with the C-mount->1.25" adapter, which I had to purchase separately. On some of their ads, they do supply the adapter, but you'll have to check with various dealers to see what they offer, as it appears to be changing over time.

Depending on what you're shooting at, you might want to consider getting an IR/UV cut filter. There are people far more expert at planetary imaging here (iceman!) who can give you all the reasons why this might be important.

Turbo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (trap-dbk31_5 sec.jpg)
49.5 KB715 views