View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 10:34 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I didn't have any issues with flips in SGP either after the first couple of tries at it, they were mount settings related too as the default mount limits in EQMOD kept on stopping the show mid flip. The difference is that Voyager then exposed errors in the mount pointing and made me do something about it where SGP tolerated them. The only thing I can think of that may be different between the two is I think SGP points, plate solves, calculates and applies an offset, plate solves etc and when you get within your defined pointing accuracy, syncs the mount. Voyager points, plate solves and syncs then points again if required. The pointing errors on the flip meant the after flip pointing was east of the before flip position by about 12 minutes, and was about 30 seconds before the meridian. If you try to sync EQMOD to a position east of the meridian when it thinks it is east side of the pier, pointing west, it rejects the sync.

All I had to do was allow it to image further past the meridian before flipping. From memory SGP stops imaging if the next sub will go past the flip time? Voyager by default will start a new sub right up to the scheduled flip time and delay the flip to finish the sub, there is a separate config to abort the sub and flip to prevent a crash if that is required.

I did have some oddball crashes (Software) with SGP which is what made me look at Voyager, which has only ever got itself tied in knots when I was fiddling with spacing and constantly connecting and disconnecting the gear to be able to unplug the camera. It focused my SCT much more effectively than SGP which was my other reason for moving, effectively focusing an SCT seems a bit of a bugbear in SGP which a delay in the focus shot after the focuser reports it has stopped moving would fix but when asked for that the SGP devs more or less say "Make your telescope work properly" when the issue is more or less built in to the SCT design. There are a lot of things I like about it more than SGP to be honest, but the learning curve is steeper.

Last edited by The_bluester; 10-07-2020 at 10:44 PM.