Thread: RC8 collimation
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 01:34 AM
ReaPerMan (Paul)
Work & Play at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Just had a go in my Observatory at collimating my new RC8 using a real star. Pain the but actually. Viewing was poor, star kept moving out of frame when i made slight adjustments and i needed to be contortunist to bend around the scope to hold the hex keys and view the monitor. There's got to be a simple way, surely?

I've seen plenty of ads for artifical star collimators. Sounds a lot more convenient and apparantly you dont need to wait for a clear night for steady viewing.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Carl
Hi Carl
I was put on to the Cats eye by Brendan and Grahame and I used a combination of the Cats eye Auto collimator and a Hotec Laser Collimator to get things close. The real improvement is then in the star testing as this is were all the effort pays off.

I have the artificial star but you need to set it up at about 30 -40 meters to get the best result. Persevere with the star testing but from my experience get a friend around to give you a hand as it's definately easier with 2 people.. unless you have arms like an indian death goddess

An alternative is the Tak collimation scope (very expensive) this is 2.7" and needs several adaptors to fit it to the RC (but worth every penny i'm told ) in the end.

hope this helps.

All the best

Paul