View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 09:55 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Smile A little fat owl

Hi all,

Sorry for not replying sooner to your kind words. I tend to reply when I have a new sketch or when there is a question. Otherwise I just get all mushy and a big head...

Heck! been a while since I did a lunar sketch! Not having done one for so long, last night I was not about to let a bit of cloud spoil things.Not great conditions with a boiling Moon through the eyepiece.But, I’m grateful for the time at the eyepiece.

As always, unless I have a specific target in mind, I just let my eye wonder along the terminator to see what pricks my interest.And, as there are several repeated alphanumeric apparitions on the Moon, I’ve found a second avian one!Some time ago I spotted an owl formed around the crater Mercator.Last night I found a second Owl, this time around the flooded craters Fra Mauro (the fat body), Parry (the right eye), and Bonpland (the left eye).Cute little fella I think is formed here J.

As it turns out, Fra Mauro is just to the south of the Apollo 14 landing site - south is to the top of the page, so the Apollo 14 site lies just below where the Owl’s feet would be.

Object:“Little Fat Owl”, craters Fra Mauro, Parry and Bonpland
Scope:C8, 8” SCT
Gear:5mm Baader Hyperion, 400X
Date:8th May, 2014
Media:White & grey soft pastel, charcoal and white ink on A5 size black paper
Duration:approx. 2hrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Little Fat Owl.jpg)
195.4 KB80 views