Thread: ZWO vs Optolong
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 12:33 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks again everyone, lots of useful insights to digest. A friend recently lent me his L-eNhance filter to try out and it did a good job of cutting through the light pollution and moonlight. But in the meantime I had looked at a lot of spectral charts of many of the light pollution / NB filters available nowadays and realised that I've had a suitable filter sitting here all the time.
For most of my astronomical life I've mostly an visual observer and only recently, the last 10 years approx, become corrupted by astrophotography. Though I enjoy it , it is not the only astro, though deteriorating eyesight makes the visual less viable. Anyway to cut a long story short, I've had a 2" Baader UHC-S for visual with the dobs and on checking the band pass of the filter found that it was also a photographic filter too with a not dissimilar band pass to the L-Pro and similar class filters. So I gave it a try out from my light polluted skies and it does a reasonable job of cutting through. Don't know at this stage how it will handle strong moonlight, gives me something to work with anyway for the time being.

The Catspaw is from Bortle 5 skies, no moon with a 127mm f950 Triplet with the Baader UHC-s and IC 2648 in Scorpius was with a 1st quarter moon about 30 deg away with the L-eNhance filter, from same location.

Sorry for the ramble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20200723 NGC 6334_resized.jpg)
208.3 KB357 views
Click for full-size image (20200923 IC4628 -2_resized.jpg)
215.4 KB325 views