View Single Post
Old 25-04-2012, 10:34 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Peter, would an o ring from a watch help seal the thread? Also, I remember using those dessicant strips theo has at some stage. Cutting them into small pieces and sticking them in with a drop of superglue.
The main body threaded joint does have a seal (looks like a very thin delrin ring) however I suspect it deforms so it does not provide an effective seal. A better design would have been to machine a recess for a proper o-ring however I doubt this could be done now. I don't think an o-ring in place of the delrin ring would work without a recess as it would sit too high in the joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I have had my 8 for a while. The old model. I have a 9 as well now. I always dry mine after each use, open and blow dry them. Always keep the dessicant blue. Love the hardware but can't say the same for the drivers. They suck.
Marc, I assume you are referring to the external dessicant pack in the pelican case? I've been keeping the camera ina pelican case with dessicant when not in use however there is no port to open on this model so once the moisture gets in it tends to stay in there unless you open the front up. I'm trying to avoid opening it up as it introduces dust. I haven't had any issues with the new drivers however I use Nebulosity so don't need the ascom driver.