View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 04:47 PM
gregbradley

[QUOTE=LewisM;1426887]I am still having a hard time thinking of spending close to $1K on a 51mm quad - thing being, I can get a 71mm quad from Sharpstar for almost the same (a few dollars extra):

Hehe but are they red???

I got my Redcat 51 yesterday. Did some test photos on trees but cloudy last night so no stars.

Overall beautifully made but it needs to perform on stars to the corners of a full frame sensor.

The focuser on mine is a tad stiff but they may be a good thing so no chance of flexure. I have 3 tracking mounts for portable gear (I know I'm over the top). I have a Tak EM10, a Fornax Lightrack ii and a Vixen Polarie which has been accessorised up to have a counter weight etc.

I am also adding a Polemaster to the Lightrack and EM10 to assist in polar alignment.

Initial tests on the Fornax shows it to be the best at tracking. Now to use the Redcat on it or the EM10 or simply piggybacked on a large scope.

Oh and its more like $1350 including import charges, GST and a camera adapter. If you add a red dot finder then that's a bit more again. I got 3 camera adapters, Nikon, Canon and Sony. The Sony one is really well made. The Canon one has to fit on another adapter EOS to EOS RF mount (EOS R mirrorless) and it does not click so it will rotate with some push 15 degrees. I hope they make a straight Canon RF mount adapter. EOS EF mount is dinosaur now hehehe.

Greg.