View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
I made up a temperature controller device from a kit that should allow the Peltier to acheive sub zero C temperatures but was wondering should I use thinner or thicker aluminum for the cold plate toss up between 2mm and 5mm, also I was going to use nylon bolts to hold the Peltier between the cold plate and heat sink should they be OK, any feedback welcome. I don't envisage glueing a plate to the back of the CCS circuit board until sometiem after the warranty expires.

Cheers

Cheers
Another concern may be how well the soldering will handle thermal shock (in summer of going from maybe mid 20s - mid 30s C to - 60 to -70C) in a few minutes or maybe a lot less (depending on how efficient and effective the heat pump is), and how the circuit board will cope with thermal shock in general.
I suspect provisions for this are made in cooled cameras at the design stage and in construction and assembly. The average DSLR is not designed to cope with extreme thermal shock.

The thermal conductivity at room temp of aluminium is 250 W/m K, cupper is much better at 401 W/m K and silver is 429 W/m K. I'd use chunk of copper as my heat drain.