View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

To my way of thinking Alpha Centauri is most important star visible. It is closest 2 stars system to us and both components are very similar to our Sun. We are indeed privileged to see this star as most of Europeans and Americans cannot see it. It is possible to detect a planet orbiting a star even with smallish telescope by recording light curve of that star. It would make great project for IIS members to measure light curve of Alpha Centauri over period of couple years. Anyone with Maxim DL could do it. It would also require some computer-programming wizard to come up with the program that can average observations with different telescopes and CCD cameras. This is main reason why I would like to split Alpha Centaury images. I think that split image photometry would make more sense then bloated image of it. I personally can see this star only for about months a year due to obstructions. So it does not make sense for me to take up this project alone. IIS got now about 4500 members; some of it are very experienced astronomers. If only 40 would take up this challenge – we may get some result. I would be quite happy to follow the lead of someone with better astronomical and organisational skills then mime. Thin about it guys.