View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 10:49 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pugh View Post
Just ran a set of images (with the flats that matched) through PI basic ccd parameters script.

While PI does not output dark current value, the readout noise now correlates with the QHY spec i.e in Photo Mode with a gain of 26, the readout noise by spec is 2.7e and I measured 2.48e and a gain of 0.38.

I then ran another set with darks/bias that did not match the flats and
again the readout noise matches that of the spec at 1.7e and a gain of 0.34.

The downside is that a third set using the Ultra Full Well mode and a gain of 20 (fullwell 69000), PI failed miserably saying the readout noise was 0.3e and the fullwell was 2300K.

So who knows. I dont think I like these CMOS cameras...too much room for error and you seemingly have to go to extraordinary lengths just to identify a usable set of parameters and to calibrate an image.
You seem to be doing pioneering work here Martin.
I guess we have been spoilt as SBIG and other companies just put out their cameras already optimised for gain etc. Its a lot simpler.

I would suggest simplifying it down to 2 settings each with its own set of calibration files. Or perhaps even just one set optimised for the RASA.

I am not sure why the CMOS camera makers aren't doing the same with their product. To enhance flexibility?

Greg.