View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Thanks for the comments!

@Greg:
Me too, but that is the QE I found and it's not from Canon, it's the peak in the green spectra. My old Canon 5D (mark I) says to have QE=0.25 (green channel).

Always when see DSLR camera specs it looks too good. But both ZWO and QHY has CMOS cameras today with fullframe sensor from DSLR cameras (Sony). Just the electronics is different. When they come as a monocrome sensor I think they will be very interesting.

Now this test was good for Canon because I only calculated the green channel were it perform at its best. The IR cut filter block part of the red channel, but you can take it away if you want. The Canon DSLR isn't cooled either, but in Sweden when we do observation it's almost always below the frezzing point so it's not that important.

Christian Buil have done a lot of camera test, mostly on older Canon DSLR cameras:
http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/cameras.htm

I think I can trust him, he also find when comparing with a mono CCD that it performed much better. But you can't compare a green spectra with the whole visuable range. You must filter the monocrome camera too.

Maybe I can add more parameters later that do this calculation better.

You also have to take in mind that the Canons fullframe sensor take a much bigger area for every exposure, if you shall cover the same area with a smaller sensor and build mosaics it takes very long time.

Almost all DSLR cameras today only have 14 bit resolution, but the ASI1600 have even less, only 12-bit and it still performs very well what I have understand. When doing a lot of sub images you build up the dynamics from it as well as a 16-bit camera.

By the way, It could something wrong in my calculations also, this is the first version!

/Lars