View Single Post
Old 27-12-2006, 11:03 AM
chris (chris)

Hi everyone, my name is Chris and I’m new here.
I was doing a google search on telescope reviews, which led me to this site and I read your beginners forum in where you help the beginners with some of your knowledge on astronomy. I was so impressed that I joined up with the hope that I too can get some advice.
I have always been interested in astronomy, but always believed that you need to spend a fortune to be able to see anything decent or with clarity. So my interest never took of the ground.
A few months ago my wife and I went on a holiday and we stopped one night in Gilgandra. I found out that there was an observatory there, and that they have night viewing for the public. I convinced the wife to go and it was a full house, I met Steve Schier and he proceeded to show us all the night skies. I was amazed at what could be seen and it has revitalized my interest in Astronomy again.
When we got back from holidays I started searching the internet for telescopes and I am now more confused than ever on what type I should be investing in.
All the reviews I read say that I should buy a refractor for planetary viewing and a reflector for DSO. I would like to view both planetary and DSO but my bank manager is telling me that I can’t buy both, I would also like to track the object I’m observing through the night sky aswell.
Can anyone suggest a telescope that will fulfill these requirements and give me clarity and a decent view of both planetary and DSO?
All your advise is most welcomed and very much needed.

Cheers
Chris