View Single Post
Old 22-02-2021, 12:24 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello and welcome,

Some questions as normal...

(almost think about making it a proforma under the beginners section - of which I am a member)

Best scope or best scope for fit...

1 - How fit are you, still young and bench 90kilo? Your overall body strength/mobility does play apart in what to get. (Weight, size)

1a - Roll in/out setup or a setup in an area that traverses three flights of stairs, a small creek and 100m to your site? (maybe ease of access to standard viewing area?)

2 - Do you want to travel with your scope, holidays/dark sites? If so, what car will you be driving? (Storage and space)

3 - What's your budget? (The big one)

4 - Do you want ep's with that? (scope, mount and eyepieces for the full optical train)

5 - What you want to view . (DSO's in your case)

6 - Do you want to move to astrophotography with this scope?

Steve
I'm sure a few ppl would like to put up suggestions, but a little more info would allow for more targeted responses, with a better fit...

Ps. With the 8"GSO ditch the RACI for a Telrad(or similar light weight finder), you'll get your money back or better selling the RACI. The 8" GSO is 22pounds and 10ounces, the 18pound weight recommendation on your mount will love you. Buy some floor protectors for furniture(Bunnings etc) and use them to help damped your tripod legs if your on solid ground(concrete, pavers, decking etc). (I'm guess the RACI with mount/base is about 3pound+, and you'll want large ep's with wider field of views at some stage for DSO's and they can add a lot of weight again)

Last edited by mura_gadi; 22-02-2021 at 01:09 PM.