View Single Post
Old 23-07-2018, 08:06 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwbenson View Post

The angle at which the adapter is sitting is = the contributing offset divided by the adapter thickness. For example if the adapter is 10 mm thick, and c) is solely responsible with offset = 1 mm, the angle is 1/10 radians = 100 mrad ~ 6 degrees. You would definitely pick this adapter as looking crooking.

Later,
EB

Eric,

Thanks for the additional math and thoughts on the issue! I would be really surprised if there is much contribution due to A-C as it is a pretty robust and simple screwed together camera assembly. But, certainly I will be looking at it closely!

One of the difficulties of this adapter is that most of it is covered by the locking collar and it is quite difficult to see if it really is square. I must say, however, that I agree with you that 6 degrees of rotator tilt should be fairly obvious.

I think there will be a dial indicator in my future. I just had a thought about how I might square up the rotator adapter using a dial indicator. It is possible to mount the rotator backwards on the OTA since both dovetails are the same. If I mount the dial indicator on the OTA I could measure tilt as the rotator turns if it is put on backwards. Once it is square I can then reverse the rotator without disturbing the fitting to the OTA. I imagine this would be much more accurate than pointing a laser at a center spot. Do you imagine this as a reasonable procedure?

Regards,
Peter