View Single Post
Old 17-11-2020, 09:16 PM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

grad

Hey there, Dana!

The 'cinnamon bun galaxy' analogy holds!!

http://ps1images.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/p...00000&catlist=

Here is what appears to be a panel of several images of this galaxy, taken with successively longer wavelength bands, from blue light through to near-infrared light, left to right.

( Unfortunately, my knowledge of galaxy surveys stopped increasing fouir years ago, so I know little about this imaging survey of galaxies, and its images. But in defense of this "astro-dereliction"(and even of my abominable heresy against astronomy), I state that I now know a Whole Lot More about soil fungi and arthropods, and that I can give a good and extremely detailed account of the earliest evolution of animal life! )

Note how the shorter wavelength images (the leftmost panels) show that there is a very nice dusting of knotty blue Arm material, but that this blue knotty material becomes progressively less noticeable at longer wavelengths (going towards the right).
(Obviously, this is the population of OB stars within this galaxxy)

In the near-infrared images, more towards the right, which emphasize the older (probably the intermediate-aged) and mass-dominant stellar population of this galaxy, the relevant longer-wavelength image panels (which were taken in the i and z , photometric bands) show a nice and smooth (or , at least, a relatively smooth) distribution of stars,which is roughly circular in outline.

So the well-known idea of a dichotomy or a duality of structure, within a single galaxy, probably applies in this particular galaxy.
Thus my attempt at galaxy classification, yielding a Morphological Type of......Elliptical(or S0) plus(!) Sd(=late-type spiral), for this galaxy, seems to be a plausible way of looking at the morphology of this galaxy.

(actually, the sub-component of this galaxy with an old stellar population, more resembles a Dwarf Spheroidal galaxy)

Thus, madbadgalaxyman's tentative verdict on this galaxy is "indeed this is a very interesting system, but probably not perturbed in any significant way by external galaxies or influences"

Hmmm....
well, if I do get "a round tuit", I shall interrogate the fits files for this galaxy, in an endeavour to learn more about this interesting system.
But! I am Not at all in my prime for galaxy research at present, often spending much more time looking at soil samples in the microscope!

Last edited by madbadgalaxyman; 17-11-2020 at 09:37 PM.