View Single Post
Old 17-02-2019, 12:43 PM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I am still confused, as what I saw was simple one streak, or one ray; it was not a group of rays.
There are two others in your image. One to the right half way between the main one and the telegraph pole. Another to the left of the main one above the palm. The latter is is extremely faint.

Have a look at all the images and explanations at the link I sent previously. Anti-crepuscular rays can vary in appearance and sometime you only see one main one although the others are there but much fainter. They are caused by light scattering from ice crystals and dust. The angle between the ray, you and the anti-solar point would likely influence the appearance of a particular ray but also the amount and size of the ice crystals and dust in the air.

Above I was only referring the the first image which has three rays that I can detect. I just looked at your original post and the second attached image shows a ray at a different angle. Was this taken from the same location at the approximately the same time? Where they eminate from is called the anti-solar point. Was the Sun behind you?

Last edited by astro744; 17-02-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Added para.