View Single Post
Old 19-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Zuts

Hi Peter,

If you are trying to tell us that an 11,000 AUD camera cooled to -15 degrees C takes a better picture than a 1,500 AUD DSLR then I for one have no argument with you.

However when people compare say CPU's they do it on a price/performance or bang for buck ratio. Using this criteria they may say that a 2ghz CPU costing 50 AUD is better value for money than a 3ghz CPU worth 800 AUD.

To take the picture using the the STL took 90 seconds, the better example from the posts was the 125 second exposure as this is closer to the EFFORT required to take the photo.

Effort counts here. The BANG here is the quality of the final picture and how much BUCK (effort and money) one is prepared to pay.

I dont think anyone here would disagree that with a bit more EFFORT in the form of stacked exposures it is possible to get photo's approaching that of a CCD. If the gap is closed by modding and cooling the DSLR camera then the EFFORT is reduced.

I think that on a BANG for BUCK comparison a DSLR is probably better value than a 11,000 AUD SBIG.

This is only my opinion and of course other people are free to make there own conclusions.

Paul