View Single Post
Old 17-04-2006, 09:17 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Lenses for Canon 350D

Hi all.

I'm after some advice and opinions on what extra lenses I could buy for my 350D..

I've heard (and it's understandable) that prime lenses are generally better quality than zoom lenses, so i'm after a lens or two that I could use for

a) portraits
b) landscapes

I've heard that for portraits, longer focal lengths are better, so i'm guessing around 70-100mm might be appropriate? Helps with depth of field etc.

For landscapes, generally I'd imagine wider field/shorter focal length would be best to capture the scene, so something around 15-25mm.

I *might* use these lenses for widefield astrophotography in the future, but it's not a main concern at this stage.

What are the best lenses for these purposes?
What are the best value for money lenses for these purposes?

Apart from genuine canon lenses, what other (cheaper) brands would fit the 350D? Do I need any adapters or equivalent?

I was at camera house the other day, and pretty much most (if not all) of the genuine canon lenses were over $1000, some significantly more than $1000. Is that what I should expect to pay? That's an awful lot of money

Has anyone got any comparison shots of the same scene taken with the same camera, with a good quality lens versus a cheaper lens? I want to see why they cost so much!

Thanks for your help.