View Single Post
Old 29-04-2018, 08:04 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomort View Post
complete noob here too. I recently bought the CF version of this scope along with the HEQ5Pro and some basic eyepieces thrown in.
AP, how hard can it be, right ?? well hard enough for me to lower my sights to visual observing till the skill and knowledge base grow a bit.
For visual observation the scope as supplied to me was not suitable. I did not get a diagonal and this is essential since I am taller than 500mm and the scope will not focus an eyepiece without the diagonal or an extra extension tube.
These scopes are imaging scopes, not really intended for visual use. Yes, you can observe visually with them, but it'll be a bit more challenging due to the field of view for some objects, and dimmer too due to the larger secondary central obstruction.

As to the AP side of things, they're long focal length, which means you really need to have an accurate polar align, and accurate guiding on a suitable mount. I wouldn't personally recommend the HEQ5 for the CF8 - too much weight for imaging for that scope imho.

Good luck with the scope though!