View Single Post
Old 30-10-2016, 11:39 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstation View Post
Now I understand that most people will tell you that you probably don't need to clean them, and I fully agree, but I had one particular eyepiece that had an unknown drop of residue right in the middle of the glass. Light from bright objects would scatter and it made the eyepiece very difficult to use.
Hi James

While less cleaning the better is the normal generalisation applied to cleaning optics, it doesn't really apply to cleaning eyepieces. The frequency you need to clean your eyepieces is dependent on the specific eyepiece design, it's eye relief and each person who has used the eyepieces physiology. Some people generate a lot of natural eye lash oil and tear residue which combined with eyepieces having shorter eye relief can necessitate frequent cleaning to optimise the views.

Don't be scared to clean the eye lens of your eyepieces. Just make sure you do It carefully with the correct technique and materials. I use a blower bulb to remove loose residue then several cotton buds with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Using each bud for 1 gentle wipe.

Cheers
John B