View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 01:59 AM
glend (Glen)

Many factors have to come together to get 10+ minute guided images, experience is the best teacher. Sadly your camera is probably not going to help as the noise is going to limit your sub times. Perhaps in the middle of winter you can run longer subs. Even with my cooled full spectrum DSLR I am only running six minute subs in good conditions at f8 but I run longer subs with my mono narrowband cooled DSLR. I prefer shooting colour with my newt at f5 because I cwn run shorter subs. Heat and noise are not a problem as the sensor sits at just above 0C, but tonight the wind came up and ruined my guide graph so I had to shutdown. My system sits in an observatory but wind can mess up good guiding pretty quickly.
Don't rush it, stick with brighter DSOs and nebulas to start with where you can run shorter subs, say under five minutes. You have the processing side to learn as well. I sort of see an 8" newt as ideal to learn on, they are fast, give true colour, and reasonable focal length to let you see some detail, they are also cheap to buy, light weight, and can sit on an HEQ5.

Last edited by glend; 07-04-2016 at 02:17 AM.