View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 01:39 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Due to my disability I can't bend to use a telrad or red dot finder, or generally even an eyepiece. I typically use binos for looking skyward and a zwo cam for the telescope for viewing/capture. But getting a target on the sensor is very difficult for me and in the past of course a reddot or telrad is all i needed to get things adjusted instead of hunting randomly around where the goto scope is pointing. So I was thinking a laser pointer mounted on the scope with control knobs like a red dot finder to push the beam l/r and u/d would make a massive difference.

I can't say i've ever seen such a thing but maybe someone out there has. Maybe my best option is to find a cheap sniper rifle scope with adjusters and knock out the optics and show a laser pointer into it.. I only have the use of one arm so dnt want complicated options with adjustable ring clamps and wedges. Just something simple the will work in the dark. Maybe a hacked red dot finder? I don't know how they work and doubt the lasers in them (if any) would work. I already have good lasers I sometimes use. Maybe even a design I could 3D print might work?
Hi Sil,

Just so I understand best - the reason you want to move the beam l/r and u/d is for initial alignment, yes?

If so I'd go for an Orion Slo-Motion (or generic version) adjustable mounting.
It provides a very smooth and precise l/r and u/d motion over a reasonable range (check if enough) in a very small package with largeish sized adjustment knobs and is mounted using typical photographic size threads of 1/4-20. Then bolt down your laser pointer and then on to your scope and adjust away.

I will add a pic in a sec...

EDIT: added a pic from Google images of the mount, shown mounted on top of a scope. It would probably be best (make adjustment easier) if the unit were turned around to face the other way than that shown in the picture so that the forward facing knob shown (which controls the up and down motion and is pointing up the telescope in the pic, presumably), was turned to face rearward. Of course the left/right motion knob would then change sides to the left hand side, if that suits. Then screw the laser on top - hopefully you already have one with a 1/4 inch thread.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (slomoadapter00814.jpg)
67.4 KB27 views

Last edited by JA; 11-05-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added pic