View Single Post
Old 18-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Laurie and Iain,

Yes, one reason why I am looking long and hard at that one, mainly because of its versatility and relatively low price point. Having it double as a guide camera is a bonus.

Next step up I can see is the QHY8L for $1499 or Orion Starshoot V2 Pro for $1499, both 6MP, but as this is a $600 jump, its a little more serious money and if I had that sort of cash, would probably go for the QHY8L.

Thing is, if I was spending $1500 anyway, then a Canon 60Da (18MP)comes into play then and potentially, the Orion Parsec 10100C (10MP) camera for $2100.... along with the QHY9 (8-9MP) colour for only $1650.

One problem I have now is all the complicated bits and pieces I need for my DSLR cooler box, camera power supply, MPCC, Capture program etc, as well as the extra weight of it all. Simplifying the camera to the ATIK (weighs 350grams and has up to 25 deg C temp differential) starts making a LOT of sense!

So, there are a few tiers to consider and therefore, for only $900 and very low power and noise, the ATIK 314E is an interesting and quality place to start for a "proper" CCD Astro camera......

Now I just need the minister for finance, to look away when my next bonus or tax refund comes in......

One last thought, JJJnettie just bought a COOLED and modded 1100D Canon which may be near the price range....she is getting some good results, you might want to drop her a line and find out how much she paid for it....?

Cheers

Chris