View Single Post
Old 25-03-2008, 10:29 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Sandy, the DSLR is a poor match to the ETX125 that you have at the moment, the fl of that scope is 1905mm iirc and you will be limited to very short exposures (<30s) as you will be at 0.62 arc" per pixel with a 350 worse with a 400. If you are after DSOs as opposed to planetary images (and DSLRs are not the best for the latter) then you should aim for about 1-2 arc" per pixel for best results.

For a bit of fun in the short term have you thought about a webcam - perhaps you could get the QHY5 or one of the variants and use that with the 125 for some lunar/planetary imaging? With an FR this is sensitive enough for the brighter DSOs as well and will serve as a guide camera once you have your main rig choices finalised.

If DSO work is going to be your thing then a shorter FL is a good place to start, a scope like the 8" Vixen RS200 or similar seems (as per Houghy's note) a good match to the camera and mount but you will need a coma corrector. Maybe add an ED80 type as your guide scope and you can image with either scope using the DSLR.

I believe modded is the way to go if you possibly can, my 20d is not modded and some of the dimmer emission nebs just fail to make it through the sky glow, finally as you are in bright city lights you will want an UHC filter.

My 2c anyway.