View Single Post
Old 24-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Zuts

Hi,

Most people would recomend some sort of DSLR. $1k would get you a new Canon 400 D body. This is a great camera, I have one and it produces good astro photo's.

However I wont recommend this. If i were you I would look around for a modded 350D. A modded camera has had the original canon filter removed and replaced with either a clear or UV/IR filter which allows Ha light to get through. This would provide far for flexibility for Astro photos, though be a pain to use for normal daylight photography (though it can be done). Also by buying an older camera you will be able to use software such as DSLR focus.

If you want a completely non-boring recomendation look for a second hand SBIG ST7 or ST8. There is one here in the ice in space classifieds, though a parallel port version. One of these cameras would give you self guiding, good since you have an EQ5 and will maybe struggle with two scopes and two cameras. It also provides regulated cooling. Of course you wont have the megapixels of a DSLR but will have a 'real fair dinkum astro camera.

Paul