View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Yeh I agree - for landscapes I really notice the difference when trying to use my 24-105, as opposed to a wider angle (17-70, or 10-22). Especially on a crop sensor.

Just had a look on ebay - some 5D Mark II bodies are around the $2k mark. Not sure what warranty you'd get there as opposed to buying from DPP.

Any other recommendations of where to buy?
Well, I've bought everything from DPP, unlike some other grey importers, there price is include GST and is shipped locally and they have local support=less grief And risk. It's not as secure as OZ sourced, and not quite (possibly) as cheap as direct from hong kong but a good compromise and still much cheaper than OZ shops.

Yes, I'm an H victim too, join the club, you won't be disappointed

If your most interested in time lapse (once you have the 5d) f is the most important thing IMO, more than FL or L or not. 20 or 30 sec exposures start to get tricky with jerkiness and noise, you can get round that with adding interpolated frames and batch processing noise reduction and star rounding in PS (actually quite doable if you have the time and patience, would make the 40d usable too) but 1.4f was a snitch and such a luxury with the 5d it wasn't funny (mmm....... Yes it was, a hoot ).

Waiting for the mk3, well that's an eternal struggle, you will always loose on "opportunity time" waiting.

If you do get gear that can do 10sec or so exposure times, you can use a standard astro mount at RA for movement effects. A dolly is nice but not essential .