View Single Post
Old 20-11-2020, 10:20 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Hubble Space Telescope - Jupiter Transit

This is a 10 image blend from a video I captured of the Hubble Space Telescope transiting Jupiter.
I had several opportunities to capture transits of both Jupiter and Saturn within a 2 hour drive individually over a six day period and this was the best.

(I was totally devastated to miss capturing the Saturn transit because I was late pressing record on my main camera by about 1 second ! - I did capture video of it on a wide angle DSLR though).

With Calsky's prediction service no longer working I used Heaven's Above for the initial "tip-off" that the HST was transiting in my area, then Stellarium / Google Earth to fine tune the shooting location that needed to be accurate to a few metres.
The transit video was captured with a 10" F4 Newtonian telescope, Televue Powermate 2x, ASI1600MM Pro (Luminance filter) and SharpCap. RGB frames were captured immediately afterward and the final LRGB blended image built in Photoshop.

The video that the image was created from was taken from Mullumbimby in New South Wales, Australia on November 20th at 8:01pm
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter Color LRGB 10 images.jpg)
71.0 KB84 views