Thread: Jupiter & ISS
View Single Post
Old 23-10-2020, 11:31 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
Wow! That is an extremely rare event, well captured by you there. It's a pity the focus wasn't a bit tighter, that really would have elevated the final image. I hope you didn't have to travel too far to catch this.

I don't know if you were aware of Tom Glenn's recent capture of the ISS transiting Mars, he turned it into a little video which you can see here. Maybe you could do something similar?
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...ember-14-2020/

Well done again
Thanks Andrew. I've had both a Jupiter-ISS and Mars-ISS capture previously though nowhere near as good quality as this one. And yes they are very rare opportunities !

I saw Tom Glenn's APOD winning capture - that's what inspired me to have a go again at this one. Only 1.25 hours drive for me. Focus was okay but I have to have a relatively long exposure at 3ms to get enough exposure so the ISS blurred (I could have upped the gain instead but it was already pretty high). Tom's was 0.3ms from memory !! Had I taken my 10"F4 Newt I could have dropped the exposure right down but it takes too long to setup, re-collimate (the road to Nimbin is VERY bumpy).

I have been meaning to do a video - but I only got 8 frames as I oriented the camera 90 degrees wrongly (I'm so used to using my old 183MC Pro which had the sensor at portrait orientation.)