View Single Post
Old 26-05-2018, 11:20 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

How much L vs RGB?

I've never really settled on how much L vs RGB I should get on a given target. I'm positive it depends on the target to some degree, for example areas with dim nebulosity will probably do well with more RGB.

For a while there I tried to gather equal parts L and (total) RGB. So for example I might get 1hr of L, combined with 20mins each of RGB. This seemed reasonable in an intuitive sense, but I had no real data backing this up, I just had no better plan so I went with it.

With that said, I'm starting a little experiment with the NGC 5078 area that I recently captured. Should the weather be agreeable I'm going to gather some more RGB data on the target and do some combinations of the data to see what produces the best (subjective) result for a given total integration time. I have insufficient RGB at the moment to do this experiment justice.

For now, here's an interesting comparison. This is slightly over 13hrs of luminance data combined with two different RGB sets.

The first set of RGB is literally one 4min sub per channel, so a total of 12mins. The second was all the RGB I gathered to date on this target, which was 140mins. Processing was identical. One thing worth pointing out with regard to the processing is that since the data sets were both very noisy, I blurred them (same amount for each image) before combining them with the L data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (comparison.jpg)
168.6 KB108 views