View Single Post
Old 23-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

My observations

Fortune smiled on me last night and I was able to view these with my 100mm, F7.4 Tak.

Objects of interest:

The Methuselah Star.
I felt quite insignificant when I viewed this ancient star, which was born when the universe was young. Comparing my age to the 14 billion of the star, I reflected on how my lifespan was fleeting and rather insignificant in the scheme of things. Humbling!

The star was located with only a little bit of star hoping. It is the middle and brightest star of three stars shaped into a gentle bow. It is said to be in it's later life and becoming a giant. Even so, I could not see any hint of colour. One end of the bow featured a faint (Mag 8/9?) pair of stars that was nicely separated (at 30x). I mention this only as a reference point for others to know that they are in the correct region, if they try to view this remarkable star.

Delta Librae. (Variable)
Delta was visible to the unaided eye with a little bit of effort. It appeared white and to be at full brightness at the moment. Using binoculars, I found 2 reference stars that I hope to use over the next few weeks to be able to monitor its dips in brightness.

Mu Librae. A close double.
Using a 5mm Delite (148x), I was able to see this as a figure 8. It was split cleanly using a 4mm Radian (185x). They appeared to be a slightly uneven pair, which were white in colour.

ShJ 179 14h.25.5m -19.58 (Hartung handbook 641)
I have read descriptions of doubles looking like a pair of eyes looking back at you, but this has never happened to me till now. It was rather strange and eerie. I notice Hass described it as " as a haunting sight'.

The stars appeared white and formed a wide double, which was very easily seen at 30x. The fainter of the pair is a close double, which I could not split with a 3.5mm Nagler.

NGC 5897. A globular cluster.
A loose globular that I could see before the 6 day-old Moon set, but it appeared much better afterwards. I could see granulation with hints of resolution of individual stars using an 11mm Nangler (67x).

The Main Stars.

Visually, only 4 stars in the Constellation jumped out at me without having to search for them nearer the limits of vision. The easiest 3 stars form the Scales (Beta, Alpha & Sigma), whilst the remaining star (Gamma) is still often referred to as being one of Scorpios claws.

Alpha Librae. The central star of the scales is a very wide double. The primary appeared white, the secondary appeared yellow.

Beta Librae.(old observations described it as Green in colour)
It appeared white to me.

Gamma Librae. It appeared yellow.

Eplison Librae. It appeared white.

Sigma Librae (Orange or red in colour?)
It appeared light orange to me.