View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
That link simply goes to an ad for his publications. I thought he measured DSLRs mainly. I am not sure what equipment you need to measure QE but he is not a professional and I doubt he has the gear to do it with properly.

Greg.
Sorry for going off on a tangent Brian, can't let that stand.

Greg, from what I could find, Christian Buil works in a professional capacity for CNES, the French equivalent of NASA - apparently on the design of space-borne electro-optical systems. Researchgate lists 96 of his research publications in the professional literature, so he doesn't just make the coffee.

As an amateur, he has participated in pro/am research on the big scopes at PicduMidi, discovered 5 asteroids (one named after him), lead the team that developed the Audine camera in the late 90s (70%QE, TE cooled), wrote the comprehensive IRIS (image processing) and ISIS (spectra) software packages and has a website full of really good info.

He is indeed a professional who knows in depth what he is talking about - if he says something about electro-optics, it will be right. And what he did not say was that the 694 is only 20% more sensitive than the 8300 as Peter incorrectly claimed - his data clearly show that it is 50% better.

Last edited by Shiraz; 11-11-2015 at 01:39 PM.